Welcome to the RAD-AID Chapter of NYP Weill Cornell
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Joanna Escalon & Dr. Andrew Kesselman
Founding Members: Dr. Joanna Escalon, Dr. Sirish Kishore, & Dr. Pooja Renjen
Special thanks to our Chairman Dr. Robert Min and Program Director Dr. Andrew Schweitzer for their support.
It is our pleasure to announce that we have joined the RAD-AID community and established our chapter in September 2013! Our goal is to create educational resources for residents and faculty to become more familiar with the challenges of establishing radiology in developing countries and the diseases endemic to certain target areas as well as encourage involvement in the international radiology community. We also hope to do our part to improve access and quality of radiology services in developing countries. We are excited to learn more about international radiology each year and see the amazing work of our fellow RAD-AID volunteers.
- Global Health Elective: Since establishing our chapter, we were able to create a GME-approved elective in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia at Black Lion Hospital. 3 residents and 2 attendings have traveled to Ethiopia between 2015-2018. During this time, we helped complete a PACS Readiness Assessment.
- Case Database: We are creating a case database to allow all residents and attendings to gain exposure to the imaging appearance of diseases not typically seen in our region. It will be available at www.create-rad.com. If there you have cases that you’d like to submit, please reach out!
OTHER WAYS TO PARTICIPATE
- Volunteer Opportunities: Want to volunteer through a RAD-AID project? Click here for more information and a volunteer form.
- ACR Foundation Goldberg-Reeder Resident Travel Grant: Awards $1,500 each year to qualified residents seeking to spend at least one month assisting health care in a developing country. The grant was created to further encourage international volunteer service among members-in-training. Click here for more information.
OTHER GROUPS IN ETHIOPIA: RAD-AID & BEYOND
- CHOP International Outreach Program to Ethiopia
- Cooperation between CHOP, the Radiology Society of Ethiopia (RSE), and the Department of Radiology at Addis Ababa University/Black Lion Hospital
- Yearly pediatric radiology CME courses (most recently October 2015)
- Started the first pediatric radiology fellowship in Ethiopia with accreditation in the country of Ethiopia
- Kassa Darge, MD, PhD, email@example.com
- Emory University School of Medicine (SOM) Emory Global Health Residency Scholars Program (GHRSP)
- Collaboration with Addis Ababa University/Black Lion Hospital
- Established in 2012 and includes a year-long curriculum (consisting of monthly lectures, seminars, and discussions) and a one month clinical rotation in Ethiopia at Black Lion Hospital
- More Information:
- Howard University
- Toronto Addis Ababa Academic Collaboration
- A long-term partnership between the University of Toronto and Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia. The purpose of the Toronto Addis Ababa Academic Collaboration (TAAAC) is to assist AAU, build and strengthen capacity and sustainability in medical specialties and other health and non-health professional programs. TAAAC is the umbrella organization housing all the new educational partnerships between Departments and Divisions in six Faculties at the University of Toronto (UofT) in Canada and AAU.
- More Information:
Contact Joanna Escalon or Andrew Kesselman with any questions or about other potential opportunities: jgb9001 at med.cornell.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org